This is essentially a liquid custard. It's is a wonderful sauce for a wide range of desserts. It almost doesn't matter what's under creme Anglaise. It always makes the dessert better.
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Whisk the egg yolks in a bowl until uniform in texture but not thickened. Whisk in the sugar until dissolved.
2. Pour the half-and-half into a medium saucepan. Scrape the vanilla bean into the custard sauce and put the pod in too. Heat the half-and-half over medium heat until a little foam appears.
3. Pour the hot half-and-half milk into the egg mixture and whisk to combine completely. Lower the heat and pour the mixture back into the saucepan.
4. Cook the mixture while stirring constantly with a rubber spatula, scraping the bottom, side, and corners of the pan frequently. Keep this up until the sauce coats the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat.
5. Add the vanilla. Strain the sauce through a fine, clean sieve into a serving cup. Let it cool slightly.
Makes about 1 1/2 cup of sauce.
|< Prev||Next >|