Hot Shrimp With Cajun Sausage
When Louisiana brown shrimp or white shrimp are in season (spring and late summer respectively), New Orleans people think of a new way to cook them every day. This one is a great party dish: big shrimp butterflied and stuffed with mozzarella cheese, wrapped in Cajun hot sausage (pre-fried bacon also works), and broiled till the sausage is crispy. Make a million of these: once people start eating them, they won't be able to stop.
- 24 large (16-21 count) shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 8 oz. mozzarella cheese
- 2 chopped jalapeno peppers
- 12 slices bacon, cooked until browned but not crisp
1. Wash the shrimp and pat them dry. Butterfly the shrimp, leaving the tail section intact.
2. Cut the cheese into pieces a little smaller than the shrimp. Cut each piece of bacon in half.
3. Fill the center of each shrimp with about 1/4 tsp. chopped jalapeno. Place a piece of cheese in the center. Wrap each shrimp with a piece of bacon, and secure with a toothpick.
4. Place the shrimp on a baking pan or pizza pan and broil until they turn pink. Turn the shrimp and return to the broiler until the cheese begins to melt. Serve immediately.
|< Prev||Next >|