Fresh Pizza Sauce
One of the best ideas I got from Chef Andrea Apuzzo when I was working on his cookbook is that pizza sauce does not have to be cooked. This, at last, revealed the problem with all pizza sauce! The following concoction may seem a little too runny, but trust me--it works, and has a marvelous fresh flavor.
- 1 28-ounce can whole peeled Italian tomatoes, juice reserved
- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp. chopped garlic (or more, if you love garlic)
- 6-10 leaves fresh basil
- 6 sprigs flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1/4 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. salt
Put all the ingredients into a food processor and process for about 20 seconds. That's it! Do not cook; just ladle it right on the pizza crust and top with cheese and whatever else you like.
Makes enough for about eight twelve-inch pizzas.
|< Prev||Next >|