Tidbit in the Oven
I enjoyed this the first time I set foot in the Steak Knife, where it's an unique appetizer specialty. Its closest relative is pizza--but this has no crust and no sauce. A friend calls it a "cheese frisbee," but that's not quite it.
- Five very thin slices of French bread
- Vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup grated Jarlsberg cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Muenster cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- 4 dashes Tabasco
- 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
1. Brush oil lightly on a six- to eight-inch metal plate. Place the French bread slices on the plate, touching one another but not overlapping.
2. Combine the cheeses, the Tabasco, and the Italian seasoning and mix together well. Spread cheese mixture across entire plate.
3. Place in oven and bake seven to nine minutes--or until cheese just begins to brown at edges.
Serve with a warning about the palate-searing heat, but be sure to eat it while the cheese is still semi-molten.